Assalamu Alaikum Dear Muslims,
In this second to last post in this series called Breaking the Chains, I would like to get to one of the core issues which is essential to understand the platform upon which SPUBS raise their arguments. This issue, in addition to that which would come in the seventh installment of this series, if understood correctly and thoroughly would indeed unfetter the shackles which are utilized by them to gain Imperial sovereignty over Da’wah Salafeeyah in the west.
Abu Hakeem Bilal Davies said in part three of his series: “Doubts around the Da’wah” after stating:
“Those brothers who are affiliated with Salafi Publications, Salafi Publications and Co. As though the brothers who are affiliated with Salafi Publications are just a handful again of some Shabab (youths) with sweaty palms typing articles in some small room. Ikhwan, we’re dealing with thousands of individuals. If we look at the U.K we’re dealing with thousands of individuals up and down the country from London to the Midlands to the north of the country to Scotland and Wales, thousands running into the tens of thousands. If you look at Europe, we’re speaking and referring to tens of thousands, If you look at the Americas, Canada, America we’re dealing with tens of thousands of individuals. Asia, Africa, the Caribbean, even the Far East we’re dealing with tens of thousands of individuals. So let us be clear Ikhwaan we’re not speaking about a handful of individuals here and a pocket of individuals there. We’re dealing with tens of thousands of individuals people of Sunnah across the globe. If that is understood then, we would continue to mention that they are to be honoured and respected as is the case of the time of the salaf of this Ummah the people who cling to the Sunnah and strive to do so whether they are the ‘Aalim, the Talib ‘Ilm, whether they’re the layperson that they are to be honoured and respected and disrespecting them, dishonouring them, disliking them was one of the clearest signs of the innovator. Why does the innovator hate and dislike them? Purely because they are the only ones that stand against them. Who make their deviation clear to the people. Who uncover their deceptive ways and highlight their falsehood to the Ummah. And thus they are hated and despised by them. They can’t stand them.”
These statements by Abu Hakeem Bilal Davies can be tackled on three levels:
1. Numbers are not a qualifying factor for weighing truth and falsehood. On the day of judgment, according to a Hadeeth in Bukhari and Muslim regarding the 70,000 who would enter paradise without reckoning and punishment, that there will be Prophets who have less than ten followers, then those who have one or two followers, then those who don’t have any. Shaikh Fawzaan stated regarding this:
“And this is an evidence that one does not use numbers as an evidence (that someone is upon the truth), rather the evidence (that someone is upon the truth) is traversing upon the truth and him having Daleel (proofs) even if they are few. Even if he is one person. Therefore whoever is upon the truth, and he has evidence from the book of Allah and the Sunnah of his Prophet, then his statement is taken and followed. As for the one who opposes the evidences then this doesn’t matter, even if they are many…” [Fawzan: I’aanah Al Mustafeed 1:114]
2. From the context of his speech it is quite obvious that he is of the position that individuals who dishonour, dislike and disrespect Salafi Publications, and those who are affiliated with them display the clearest sign of the people of innovation. This is indeed a dangerous position to adopt and its consequences are the following:
- Many would go away with the perception, if they don’t have it already, that SPUBS are the saved sect and aided group. If this is the perception that they wish to endorse then it would indeed be a most criminal, outlandish and sinister ideology unleashed upon well meaning westerners who simply wish to follow the path of our pious predecessors. Firstly, because such an ideology centers the Muslim’s salvation around Salafi Publications. And secondly, it would mean that those who are dislike and dishonour them are automatically astray deviants.
Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al ‘Uthaimeen said:
“There is no partisanship, allegiance, association and disassociation except in accordance to what has come from the Book and the Sunnah. For there are people, for example, who are partisan to a specific group. They establish its methodology and use as evidence for it evidences that may be against it… And we renders astray those who are other than him even if they are closer to the truth and they take the precedent: “Whoever is not for us is against us.” This is an evil precedent, meaning that some people say: “If you are not with me you’re against me.” [Uthaimeen: Sharh Hilyah Taalib Ul ‘Ilm: 192]
I want the just, noble reader to reflect upon the words of the Shaikh and to realize that revelation is not being handed down to Abu Khadeejah and his affiliates. Likewise that love, hate, association, disassociation, truth and falsehood are neither decided in Masjid Salafi nor in Masjid Sunnah An Nabaweeyah in Birmingham. Rather, the determining matter in those things aforementioned is concordance to divine revelation. And this flows into my next point which is:
- That such a sinister ideology alters the definition of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah according to the scholars. I have not seen anything in the explanations of Aqeedah Al Waasiteeyah, Tahaweeyah and Safarineeyah that indicates that SPUBS and their affiliates are those who define Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah. Rather Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah are those who unite upon following the Qur’an and the Sunnah upon the understanding of the Salaf. Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al ‘Uthaimeen said:
“Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah”: They are ascribed to the Sunnah because they hold unto it. And Jama’ah; because they come together upon it.” [Uthaimeen: Sharh Al Waasiteeyah: 52].
He also said: “And Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah they are the Salaf in creed, even the one who comes afterward until the day of judgment if he is upon the way of the Prophet and his companions then he is Salafi.”[Uthaimeen: Sharh Al Waasiteeyah: 54].
Hence, following the Sunnah and the Salaf doesn’t center around one’s affiliation and friendship with SPUBS. Rather, it centers upon following the truth according to its evidences.
- From the statements of Bilal Davies, what may branch from it is that several scholars who oppose SPUBS in their stances and dishonour, disrespect and dislike them show the clearest signs of deviation. The likes of Sh. Suhaimi, Sh. Waseeyullah Al ‘Abbas and others. Likewise, several callers who oppose them and their affiliates, even if it based upon clear evidences and principles have the clearest signs of deviation as well. (This will be further discussed in the next part regarding their positions).
3. The speech of Abu Hakeem Bilal Davies makes it seem that everyone (scholar, student of knowledge and caller) who SPUBS have refuted has opposed one of the core fundamentals of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah i.e is an innovator. This my dear brothers and sisters is an extremely dangerous ideology as it resembles Sayyid Qutb’s excommunication of the Muslim rulers and their citizens based upon them not traversing upon his ideology.
This is because, as is evidenced in his statements, he has made a Hukm (ruling) on all of those who dislike and dishonour SPUBS without taking into account the principles and evidences that are needed to make such a judgment. Again, being an innovator does not revolve around the statements of SPUBS and affiliates. Rather, an innovator is deemed to be an innovator when he opposes one of the core fundamentals of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah. Hence, regardless of the person or group making such judgments, clear, explicit evidences are needed in order to establish the characteristic of Bid’ah (innovation) upon an individual or group.
May Allah ta’ala make this a major eye opener for my brothers and sisters and the west. And may he make it a means to unfetter the shackles in the minds of many who have been bamboozled by rhetoric rather than being guided by principles.