This is indeed one of the biggest doubts that has been making its rounds for a long period of time. Due to the principle of the Ikhwaan Al Muslimeen which states: “We co-operate in that which we agree upon and we excuse each other in that which we disagree upon”, many have the notion that individuals and groups which are known to spread deviance, doubts and innovations should be left alone.
In this post I am not going to write a detailed explanation as to why the deviant individuals and groups should be refuted. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) himself warned against deviant groups such as the Khawarij and the Qadareeyah. Likewise, the Prophet’s companions, the Tabi’een and those who followed them in goodness until this time have refuted deviant groups, individuals and ideologies.
The details of this is available in this treatise which I wrote a few years ago: https://musamills.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/d8a7d984d8acd985d8b9-d8a7d984d986d981d98ad8b3-d981d98a-d8a7d984d8b1d8af-d8b9d984d989-d8acd986d988d8af-d8a5d8a8d984d98ad8b3.pdf
In it there are evidences and statements of many scholars of different eras regarding the aforementioned matter which is one of the foundational issues upon which the methodology of Ahlus Sunnah is built.
Secondly, if one forsakes this aspect of commanding the good and forbidding the evil; refuting deviant groups, individuals and ideologies the following would occur:
- Ignorance of the correct creed, deviant beliefs and practices would become widespread and commonplace among the Muslims.
- The Muslims would become confused, then begin to doubt and eventually abandon that which is established in the book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Messenger (صلى الله عليه و سلم)
- The Muslims would be confused regarding from whom they should take their religion from. Muhammad Ibn Sireen said: “Verily this religion is knowledge therefore be aware of the one you take your religion from.”
- Deviants, deviant groups and ideologies would gain credence and would be afforded the same status as the ideology of Ahlus Sunah and deviants would be afforded the same status as scholars of truth.
- Most importantly, the ‘Ibadah of refuting the innovators, boycotting them and refuting deviant groups and ideologies would be abandoned.
Hence, to declare that a particular individual (Yasir Qadhi) should not be refuted although he:
- Spoke ill of Umar Ibn Khattab
- Called an Islamic Punishment bizarre
- Has a tendency to call certain matters relating to Islam “problematic”
- Called Ya’juuj and Ma’juuj Zombies
- Declared that one who calls upon the dead isn’t doing major Shirk (and lied on Imams As San’aani and Ash Shawkani in the process)
- Speaks ill of Shaikh Muhammad Ibn ‘Abdul Wahhab
- Says that the standard narrative regarding Qur’an preservation has holes.
- Casts shade on scholars making it seem that they can’t handle “modern problems.” (And the list goes on)
BECAUSE he is well known and has done some good for the west is an erroneous statement that opposes the methodology of the Salaf. Rather, the fact that Yasir Qadhi has became infamous for spreading doubts (that has been a cause of celebration among Christian Missionaries) and innovation in recent times provides even more of an incentive for Ahlus Sunnah to warn against him and his phantasms in order that the public not be beguiled and bewildered by his rhetoric and delusions.
Likewise, deviant individuals wish that this great obligation of refuting the innovator disappears as their reality and condition would remain obscure to the Muslims once this methodology dies a slow death. There is nothing that Ahlul Bid’ah are more afraid of than a Jarh (criticism/disparagement) that is robust and based upon sound knowledge. Hence, when confronted with such robust disparagement they cry wolf while they themselves invest much of their time and resources in refuting Ahlus Sunnah and in trying to demolish some of the fundamentals of ‘Aqeedah and Manhaj (methodology).
If one really pays attention to what has been written in this series it appears that some of the callers on social media have one goal in mind, to demolish firmly established principles of Da’wah Us Salafeeyah.
For those who respect the creed and methodology of Ahlus Sunnah; it is improper to give such individuals a platform to spread their doubts, those who vilify Imam Al Barbahari, Sh. Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahhab and other scholars of the past and present. Those who dismiss firmly established principles of the methodology of Ahlus Sunnah as “Madkhali” principles and those who wish to host infamous personalities from Ahlul Bid’ah, aggrandize them and defend them.
May Allah make this series an enlightening series and may he make it easy to compile and publish.
الله اعلم و صلى الله على نبينا محمد و على اله و صحبه و سلم