On the authority of Abu Huraira (radiallaho anhu) the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “And my ummah will divide into 73 sects all of them in the fire except for one.” The companions asked “Who are they O Prophet?” He said,”Those who are upon what I am upon today and my companions.” Shaikh Al Albani and Shaikh Ul Islam Ibn Taymeeyah said it is a Saheeh Hadeeth.
Benefits from Hadeeth :
1) The muslim nation will divide into 73 sects.
2) That this division cannot be prevented as the Prophet (Salallahu alaihi wa Sallam) Predicted this.
3)That All the sects would be in the fire except one and hence there is only one sect that
follows the Proper Islam.
4) The saying of the Prophet “Verily the one who lives after me will see many differences therefore upon him is my sunnah and the sunnah of the rightly guided califs” From this it is derived that Difference will only happen when muslims go astray from the sunnah and that of the companions.
5)If the Muslims stayed upon what the companions were upon they would not be seperated.
6) That all the deviant sects are destroyed paths that lead to the hellfire.
7) The statement of the Prophet “There will always remain a small group from my ummah who are clear upon the truth and those who diffrenciate from them and speak ill about them will not harm them”
8) That the saved sect are those who remain upon what the companions were upon.
9) Those that do not follow the companions of the Prophet in their belief and manners and
methodology are essentially destroyed.
10) Islam is clear and the signposts of truth are clear.
11) This saved sect are the people of Hadeeth as said by Imam Ahmad, Imam Bukhari, Imam Alee Al Madani and other Imams of the salaf.
12) That uprightness in the religion and correctness is by following the salaf (companions of the Prophet)
13) That truth in the religion is not founded upon debate. As the Prophet salallahu alaihi wa sallam said that the saved group will be the ones who follow him and his companions, not the ones who can debate well.
14) The saying of Imam Malik “Everytime a person comes to debate he wants us to reject the religion of the Prophet (Salallahu alaihi wa sallam)
15) The saying of many of the salaf that this religion is by narration not by ideas.
16)Refutation on those who say that the way of the salaf is not proper for this time.Because firstly, the Prophet said this statement when there was no difference between the muslims. Secondly, this difference happened after the death of Umar Ibn Khattab and all the 73 sects did not comeinto view as soon as the differences between the Muslims started to occur. Thirdly, that he made a general statement “Whoever (meaning from his Ummah) is upon what I am upon today and my companions” He did not establish any time boundry for the one who follows their way.
17)That knowledge about the way of the companions is compulsory in order to act upon it and to be counted amongst those who are of the people of Hadeeth and Salafeeyah.
18) That the seperation of the Muslims does not come except by debating,ignorance and innovation in the religion and turning away from the guidance of the Companions.
19) The Prophet’s effort to guide his ummah to the straight path by not leaving the question of the companions unanswered. And that he made the guidance of Islam clear to the people.
20) The Haraam nature of hiding knowledge.
21)The statament of Allah (And verily this is my straight path. So therefore do not follow the other paths as they will lead you astray from the straight path).Many of the salaf have said that the other paths are innovations.
22)The compulsory nature of asking those who know when you do not know.
23)That returning matters to the Prophet and thepeople of knowledge is compulsory.