To all my Muslim brothers and sisters.
In this time we are seeing a phenomenon which is quite disturbing. Where, there are those who have reached a particular level of knowledge yet have delusions of grandeur!
First they were called Dua’at, then Ustaadh (both not being problematic) then after a time the word ELDER was utilized. This indeed should have set off the alarm bells. Currently, to add insult to injury they are now being referred to as Shuyuukh, Fadeelatush Shaikh and Mashayikh!
This is indeed a travesty. These same callers who were pontificating that there are no scholars in the west are now trying to place themselves as the scholars of the west and the point of return!
If anyone disputes that then why is it that their latest means of propaganda (marketing) is to allow others to call them Shuyuukh (which they KNOW is synonymous to the word scholar) and some of them are not even beginner students of knowledge and none of them are at an advanced stage?
Such a phenomenon is addressed in a Hadeeth that is agreed upon by Bukhari and Muslim where the Prophet (Salallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) said:
The one who creates a false impression of receiving what one has not been given is like one who wears two garments of falsehood.
I am certainly alarmed by this because the possible result of this propaganda by SPUBS is the following:
- Cheapening of the status of the scholars and Islamic Scholarship.
- Taking non-scholars as the point of return in matters of legislation.
- Entering Non-Scholars into the rhealm of the scholars although the former doesn’t have the requisite knowledge.
Really and truly, I ask the sincere reader, how can we call these people scholars?
- Have they memorized the Qur’an or most of the Qur’an?
- Have they memorized books of Hadeeth such as Umdah Al Ahkaam, Buluugh Ul Maraam or Riyaadh As Saliheen?
- Have they memorized texts in Aqeedah and Fiqh?
- Have they memorized and studied texts in grammar, morphology, Usool Ul Fiqh, Usuul Ut Tafseer and Mustalah Al Hadeeth?
- Can they teach these texts with precision?
- What books have they produced and who have they produced as strong students of knowledge?
- Have they gone through the different stages of knowledge?
And I can ask several other questions which of course would be met by a deafening silence and in some cases outright slander.
Furthermore, I ask where is their level of responsibility?
Hassan Somali, Abu Hakeem and some others have been exposed to real scholars and strong students of knowledge. It is irresponsible of them that they condone these titles being bestowed upon them, ABU KHADEEJAH and AMJAD RAFEEQ. These perpetrators know within themselves that they are not of that calibre. They really need to fear Allah and desist from such shenanigans.
Lastly, I tell the brothers as an advice, especially those from SPUBS, to make sure to pay attention to this Hadeeth which is narrated in Saheeh Muslim on the authority of Abu Hurairah:
Next a man who had acquired and imparted knowledge and read the Qur’an will be brought forward, Allah will remind him of the favours He had bestowed upon him and the man will acknowledge them. Then He will ask him: ‘What did you do to express gratitude for it?’ The man will reply: ‘I acquired knowledge and taught it, and read the Qur’an for Your sake.’ Allah will say to him: ‘You have lied. You acquired knowledge so that people might call you a learned (man), and you read the Qur’an so that they might call you a reciter, and they have done so.’ Command will then be issued about him, and he will be dragged on his face and thrown into Hell.
Titles and fame do not matter. What matters is that we learn and we do good deeds for the sake of Allah ta’ala because the life of this world is limited and the hereafter is forever.
So be merciful to yourselves and know your level.