At first impression a lot of readers may ask why I pose this question.
I heard a recording the other day regarding Salafeeyah in the 90s and Salafeeyah now. It stated the fact that although we have more graduates and more brothers returning from oversees the people have become more ignorant. Why is that?
From my perspective, when I became Muslim in the 90s the brothers who I was around were trying to practice every Sunnah they knew of. Of course mistakes and misunderstanding may have occurred regarding its implementation however the fact remains that the Sunnah took precedence over everything.
What happened later on was that people became cultivated upon Taqleed i.e the Shaikh said thus and the Shaikh said so. Now I am not disputing the fact that it is obligatory to return to the understanding of the Ulama of the past and the present regarding the issues of the religion. However, what has happened is that in spite of clear evidences and principles “the Shaikh said” took precedence.
This type of toxic understanding has led to the Muslims detaching themselves from the Quran and the Sunnah of the Messenger (Salallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam). Such a person can no longer be described as knowledgeable or as a seeker of knowledge but rather such a person is a Muqallid (blind follower).
This blind-following hidden under the guise of Salafeeyah has led to individuals taking positions of authority that they are unfit for. It has also led to bigotry and partisanship toward specific individuals and groups.
Hence, it is upon our brothers and sisters to return to the book and the Sunnah in terms of reading, learning, teaching and acting upon it. Because we can’t truly be Salafi if we have the following characteristics:
- Partisanship toward particular scholars.
- Partisanship toward particular organizations.
- Lack of emphasis on studying, acting upon and teaching the Sunnah.
- Making the people of knowledge the FIRST point of return rather than the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
- Making the people of knowledge the source rather than the means to understand the texts of the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
- Ignoring the Sunnah for the statements of particular scholars, organizations and individuals.
- Abject arrogance in accepting one’s errors after the Sunnah has been made apparent.
In other words, Salafeeyah is opposed to TAQLEED (blind following) unless it is of dire necessity. This is because Salafeeyah is built upon the texts of the Qur’an and the Sunnah with the understanding of the Salaf.
May Allah aid our brothers and sisters in the west in reviving Da’wah As Salafeeyah. May Allah aid us in emphasizing upon textual evidences in learning, reading, teaching and implementation.